Tuesday, February 5, 2008

I thought I would post a couple pictures that I took when Jan and I visited Nauvoo this past Fall, 2007.  Mom & Vern took us to visit an Amish family and these are a couple of the pictures I was able to "politely" and without notice take of their farm and their "neighborhood."









The photo on the left is of their school and phone booth.  This is the only phone the entire Amish community in this area has.  They don't give the number out but in case of emergency, they use the phone to call out.  

It is a beautiful area and the Amish people that we met were very nice and kind.  It would be a very interesting life to live - only going to school until the 8th grade, no power from a power company (however,  they do have generators to help them with their work), no computers or other technological devices - including hair dryers, TV, clothes washers and dryers, dish washers, hot water heaters, lamps/lights, cell or otherwise phones, etc.

They live a very clean and pure lifestyle and one that we could all learn from.  I absolutely respect their choices and way of life and understand why they have chosen to live the way they do.  However,  I just don't think I could live that lifestyle, knowing what I know now and having had the luxuries of my current life(including purified water).

2 comments:

Cin's Fam said...

what an amazing lifestyle, amish, I need you to tell me more about them. Your pics are awesome! It really is beautiful there. But I agree I don't think I could do that and I am gratful that so far I haven't been asked to do that because I too like clean water and well all the other modern things we enjoy.Love ya Cin

6 P's in a Pod said...

Hey, did you see Mom and Vern's article they wrote on Nauvoo in the Church News this last week? COOL!